Monday, April 2, 2007

Promotion is the Name of the Game

While I hope all you out there in cyberspace who read my blog regularly enjoy my views, updates in the pp world, and personal pp sightings. But I think its time to find new ways to promote my blog. With the controversy and buzz surrounding product placement in various media spheres, one more blog on the subject can't hurt. In the book, "Blogging for Business: Everything You Need to Know and Why You Should Care," author Shel Holtz gives several ideas on how to successfully promote your blog in Chapter 9.


This book focuses on blogs created for small businesses and others in the business world. It discusses what we already know: how blogging can can benefit a business by creating interactivity with its customers. However, I believe these same promotional methods can also successfully be applied to my personal blog. Afterall, there are plenty of companies out there that want to know what consumers are thinking in terms of strategies they are employing and topics they all have interest in. Promoting this blog also gives readers like you a chance to explore the topic of product placement and its role in a media planning world, a topic they might otherwise not have a clue about.


One of the first things I've done this week to promote my blog is add the URL for it on my Facebook profile. This way friends in my network, particularly ones in my major who have similar interests, have a chance to view my blog on product placement, a topic they presumably have interest or at least knowledge in. I have also commented on other blogs. I have commented on the blogs of other students in my Audience Research class whose main subject is also product placement. I also found other blogs dedicated to product placement or at least with posts on product placement using a Google search. On a post from "This Blog Sits at the:" about product placement, I discussed my contrasting views and left my blog URL as a comment for both readers and the blog's author who may want to explore another alternative to the author's cynical views on product placement. Lastly, I went back to some of my favorite posts and added labels to them. This tagging tactic will make my blog more easily accessed and identifiable when readers search for information on the subject of the post or product placement in general.

No comments: